Tuesday, March 5, 2013

One man's junk is another man's treasure

The previous owners left behind a lot of stuff when they left, which was a bit of an annoyance at first because it meant more work for us getting rid of it.  But, as we looked everything over, we quickly realized that they had left behind a lot treasures we could use, and now we're thankful that they did!

They left two great old light tables, which we will definitely use for the darkroom area and, although I can't draw a stick figure, Tom tells me artists can use them as well.  These will save us lots of money!  They need a little TLC: a good clean up, a little rust removal and a paint touch-up in places, and new glass on top, but they are solid and will probably be around a lot longer than any of us.




 
 
Some of my favorite things they left behind are four steelcase/tanker desks.  I picked one to keep for our office, and the other three are listed for sale on Craigslist and eBay.  I  absolutely love them all and would love to keep them, but they weigh several hundred pounds each, and I really just want someone else to take them out of the building.  My hope is that they get into the hands of someone who is going to restore them and that they don't end up being sold for scrap.  They don't build beauties like these anymore but unfortunately so many end up on the scrap heap.  They look a little rough right now, but with some elbow grease they could be stunning enough to make Don Draper envious!
 
This one has 3 people watching it on eBay and it still has 6 days to go before the end of the auction

This has 1 person watching it on eBay

This has 2 eBay watchers!


This is the one we're keeping for our office. OK, I know it's not much to look at now, and maybe some of the drawers stick and maybe it has some rust on it, but I absolutely love it and have big plans for it!
 

The top is Formica and is in near-perfect condition, amazing after 40+ years!
 
We'll let you know how the auction goes.  I want to sell them but it will make me sad to see them go! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment